Dubrovnik is a fantastic destination in its own right, but visitors should certainly make use of the transport links to nearby places to really get a real taste of the beauty of the area. Did you know that you can easily get a ferry or catamaran from Dubrovnik over to the Elaphiti Islands?
These islands are of stunning natural beauty and have plenty of things to see and do. The largest island in the group is Island Sipan and you can quickly head to this charming place for the day, or perhaps stay overnight.
Island Sipan is located close to the mainland about 11 miles north-west of Dubrovnik; it is only thinly populated and still very much unspoilt. Cars are allowed on the island, unlike some of its neighbors, but it is still extremely laid-back and quiet, and this also has the added bonus of enabling you to get a public bus, that meets arriving ferries, from one end of the island to the other very easily.
Suđurađ and Šipanska Luka are the two main villages on the island, and both are beautifully located on the sea, with fantastic beaches to spend a few hours soaking up the sun. Getting to the island is very easy, thanks to a ferry from Gruž harbour (see http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/ferry-croatia) which takes just over one hour.
What to see and do on Island Sipan:
- St Peter’s Church, dating back to the 11th century
- Church of the Holy Spirit, an unusual fortified church dating back to 1569
- Ruins of the Dubrovnik Archbishops’ summer residence between Sudurad and Šipanska Luka
- Sample some fresh seafood at one of the many beachside cafés and restaurants
- Check out the fragrant olive groves, as well as seeing fresh figs, almonds, citrus fruits and vegetables being grown
- Sample some local wine in an island vineyard
- Enjoy a day on a quiet and uncrowded beach, with clean and calm waters
- Explore the ancient Roman ruins in Šipanska Luka
While Dubrovnik is a fantastic place to base yourself, getting away from the summer hustle and bustle is a very good idea for the day, and Island Sipan offers the perfect escape.