The Sokol Tower was built as an Illyrian and Roman fortification. In the late 14th century, the fortress was ceded to the Dubrovnik Republic. There was a cistern, a storehouse for wine and food, a building for the soldiers, but also a separate house for the accommodation of women and children from the nearby villages in case of a war danger. This magnificent tower survived the great earthquake in 1667, but it was abandoned at the beginning of the 18th century, after which it was damaged on several occasions. The ruins were purchased by the Association of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiquities in 1965 and the fortress was recently completely renovated and reconstructed. Sokol Tower is not only one of the most impressive medieval remains in the Dubrovnik area but it also offers an impressive view of the magnificent landscapes of Konavle in their full beauty.
Video material : Vlaho Torić