There are plenty of claims for the best chocolate cake recipe, and there is nothing better than enjoying a simple cake like this one with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk, depending on the time of the day. It is a great emergency cake to have in your repertoire for forgotten birthdays, last-minute visitors, or urgent Friday night chocolate cravings.
In all honesty, this is probably be one of the easiest cakes you have made. The great thing about it is that the cake batter can bem ade in a bowl without the use of a heavy duty mixer. The batter makes a rich and moist cake with a deep chocolate flavour. One of the ingredients that really makes this chocolate cake recipe come to life is the addition of espresso powder, which works to elevate the flavors in much the same way as vanilla extract. You cannot taste the coffee, it only deepens the flavour of the chocolate. You can use this recipe to make layer cakes and cupcakes as well.
All you need is this:
- 5 eggs
- 125 g unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 375 g dark chocolate
- 175 g brown sugar
- 35 g cornstarch
- 120 g hazelnuts, peeled and toasted
Ready, taste, go!
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add salt. Melt chocolate and butter over double bath and add espresso powder to it. Add brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Toast, peel and grind hazelnuts. Add to the previous mixture. Then add eggs, whisking in one by one.
- Spread the batter evently into a springform cake tin lined with parchment paper and dust with cocoa powder.
- Preheat oven to 170 C (338F).
Bake for 40 minutes. Let the cake cool. You can dust it with powdered sugar or serve with a dollop of whipped cream.